Namaste and welcome to New Zealand’s online yoga magazine, The Yoga Lunchbox – a place to find out more about yoga and connect with the yoga community in Aotearoa!
We believe in the power of yoga to profoundly transform our lives – physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. It can take us from a place of utter despair to a place of complete joy.
The process of yoga is not always easy though, and it always helps to have someone to walk the path with.
That’s where The Yoga Lunchbox comes in – here you will help you find support for your processes, whatever their nature and wherever you might be along the path – shiny, fresh, novice student, or decades-long, dedicated practitioner.
And it’s all freely offered.
We aim to offer an online meeting place for yoga teachers and students to come together to share their experiences with each other, creating a platform for community learning where everyone’s contribution is valued.
To this end The Yoga Lunchbox doesn’t just support community – it is a community!
Founded in 2008 as my personal blog, the site has morphed and grown and stretched to its present state: a vibrant, cooperative writing team working together to bring you a wide array of articles steeped in practice of yoga on and off the mat.
Classic texts explain that a yogi is one who, through direct observation of their own mind and body, experientially comes to know something.
And over the thousands of years that yogis have been practicing, there is much that has been learned!
The writings you’ll find here are reflections of what we have learned, and are learning, through our personal yoga journeys as students and teachers.
Which is one reason why The Yoga Lunchbox exists.
- It’s here to reassure us that whatever we encounter along the path of yoga, is just part of the process.
- It’s here to encourage us to try more than just asana, to try more than just going to class.
- And it’s here to celebrate the joyful aspects of making yoga a part of your daily life.
- Plus it’s here as a demonstration of what can be created when we focus on the gifts we have to give.
We at The Yoga Lunchbox believe that:
- Yoga transforms lives by healing mind, body and spirit.
- Yoga isn’t just something that we do, yoga is the quality of presence that we bring to everything we do.
- Yoga has the power to transform our society from the inside out.
So in our articles you’ll find masses of ideas and suggestion to practice, promote, and advocate those very things.
You will see how bringing yoga to your life can provide experiences of joy in discovery, courage in exploration, and unifying connection within individual healing.
There is no doubt that somewhere on this site, there will be something you’re looking for about yoga.
Top Ten Things to do at The Yoga Lunchbox
- Read Kara–Leah’s popular column Musings from the Mat as she makes sense of every day householder life through the lens of a yogi
- Find a local yoga teacher near you in New Zealand in the Yoga Teacher Profiles, organised by location
- Catch up on the latest Hot Topic in the yoga community, and see what people are talking about
- Get inspired by reading people’s personal stories of transformation
- Find out everything you need to know about starting yoga, including information on different yoga styles, plus the basics of getting along to your first class
- Become a Yoga Lunchbox Facebook Fan
- Check out one of our cool article series, like The Beginner’s Guide to Yoga
- Get the low down on how to become a yoga teacher – there’s plenty of high quality yoga teacher training right here in New Zealand!
- Sign up for the Monthly Digest to get all the best articles and goodness from The Yoga Lunchbox in a monthly newsletter.
- Ask Elissa a question about teaching yoga – she writes a monthly column called Adventures in Teaching